Home > .NET / CLR / C#, Developer, Tools / Products > FIX: Rule “Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008” failed.

FIX: Rule “Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008” failed.

August 10th, 2008 Leave a comment Go to comments

Far easier solution is given by Paul in the comments section, highly recommended you follow his suggestion.

As you may be aware, Microsoft RTM’d SQL Server 2008 a few days ago, unfortunately if you have the RTM version of Visual Studio 2008 (any edition) installed you’ll find that installing SQL Server 2008 you’ll get a nasty little surprise:

Rule “Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008” failed.
A previous release of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 is installed on this computer. Upgrade Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 to the SP1 before installing SQL Server 2008.

This is all explained in the KB956139 – Visual Studio 2008 SP1 may be required for SQL Server 2008 installations, there is however a fix or a workaround to installing SQL Server without the need for SP1 if you aren’t able to obtain it.

Simply customise the installer so that these components aren’t installed:

• Management Tools
  • Integration Services
  • Business Intelligence Development Studio

Then things will chug along nicely:-)

You can download it on MSDN Subscriber Downloads or the TechNet Subscriber Downloads section. Dont forget to checkout What’s New in SQL Server 2008.

{lang: 'en-GB'}
  1. Jo
    September 17th, 2008 at 15:21 | #1

thanks this worked a treat!

2. Rico
    October 3rd, 2008 at 17:53 | #2

Who the h*ll wants to install mssql2008 without the managementstudio? Thats like playing tennis without a ball d!ckwad.

3. November 1st, 2008 at 01:24 | #3

I was able to get past this by uninstalling Visual C# 2008 Express, which I had installed befroe the full version of 2008 with SP1. I also uninstalled anything that said sql 2008 in the “Add/Remove programs” dialog after the install failed the first time. After doing that cleanup, everything worked!!!! YAY!

The other solution that worked for one of my colleagues was to uninstalled VS2008 completely, installed SQL 2008, then install VS2008 with SP1 again. That wasn’t a viable option for me. I was determined to find a way around it. Good luck!

4. November 5th, 2008 at 06:19 | #4

I left the “management studio” out as it was the only way to install SQL 2008 on Vista. But how do you manage SQL 2008 without it? I have Visual Studio Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM. See my tweets about this at http://twitter.com/tunis

5. November 19th, 2008 at 04:50 | #5

It works sweet..

6. Mark Stouffer
    November 23rd, 2008 at 13:14 | #6

One of the things in this installation, that I thought we had gotten past as an industry, is the 17 questions and password entries and 10 minutes of time that it goes through before checking weather it can be installed. And then the check erroneously fails. That is frustrating now that I have tried it 32 times.

Your fix worked, BTW, but now how to install the management?

7. Hammer
    December 20th, 2008 at 16:43 | #7

@Justin Greenwood
    I followed Justin’s fix except I did not uninstall any SQL server 2008 files. It allowed me to proceed with the install of SQL 2008 + management software

8. Chris
    January 6th, 2009 at 02:46 | #8

I unistalled VS 2008 web express and that worked for me as well. Iwas able to add the management studio and business intellegence components.
    Thanks

9. antaresuk
    March 4th, 2009 at 00:14 | #9

worked for me selecting only the database engine. We can always use the server explorer in vs 2008. I agree its a lot pants and Im sure a lot of devs will say “screw this” and go back to sql 2005.

10. April 1st, 2009 at 09:21 | #10

Found a solution:
    – If you have Visual Studio 2008 installed, make sure Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net 3.5 framework SP1 is also installed.
    – Uninstall other versions of visual studio: I had professional and express installed on my computer, it only worked when I uninstalled the express 2008.
    – Try installing SQL Server 2008 again, this time with the Management Studio checked ๐Ÿ™‚

Microsoft also posted a solution… but I didn’t follow its instructions because it involved a lot of uninstalling/reinstalling.
    If you’re still interested, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956139

11. Jacob
    April 4th, 2009 at 22:40 | #11

– Uninstalling VS C# 2008 express finally did the trick. Thanks a lot!

This error message has been bugging me for months.

12. Paul
    April 7th, 2009 at 19:27 | #12

An even simpler solution that I have found, skip that particular validation check altogether. There is an undocumented switch called /SkipRules that can be used when running the Setup.exe from a command prompt. Open up a command prompt and go to the directory where you have your SQL2008 install files and run the below:

Setup /ACTION=install /SkipRules=VSShellInstalledRule

This will run the installation but skipping the rule that checks for previous versions of VS2008 allowing you to install the Management Studio Software which is what I needed.

Enjoy !!
    Paul.

13. Ted
    April 15th, 2009 at 07:16 | #13

thanks Paul..

Setup /ACTION=install /SkipRules=VSShellInstalledRule RebootRequiredCheck

this worked!!

14. shakiro214
    April 16th, 2009 at 10:28 | #14

alright! paul’s fix is great! I didn’t need to un-install/re-install my Visual Studio to get around this. that would have been sad *tear* but thanx to you, i don’t need to worry about that anymore =) tnx paul!!

15. April 16th, 2009 at 23:39 | #15

Paul is King of SQL Setup, long live the King!

16. April 16th, 2009 at 23:43 | #16

I agree, Paul’s solution worked for me and its alot easier ๐Ÿ˜€

17. Paul
    April 17th, 2009 at 23:13 | #17

I’m glad to see that my tip has helped a few people ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Rachel
    June 10th, 2009 at 12:35 | #18

Paul,
    You are the bomb. Days of trying to get this to work by uninstalling and reinstalling….the only thing that worked for me was your suggestion. Thanks so much!

19. SAGA
    June 13th, 2009 at 00:43 | #19

Thanks Paul,
    Your solution works for me.
    I was trying from last 2 days … insttalling and uninstalling…..

But finally ur solkution works . ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks,
    SAGA

20. RK
    June 19th, 2009 at 11:36 | #20

Paul, nice get !

21. ILICH
    July 24th, 2009 at 02:16 | #21

@Paul
    Paul, You made my week ! ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks a lot from Ukraine ๐Ÿ˜‰

22. MJ
    July 24th, 2009 at 06:14 | #22

Paul thak u sooo much u saved my day!!! =)

23. Sumaira
    August 4th, 2009 at 06:17 | #23

great Paul.. it worked n solved my problem.
    thanks a lot ๐Ÿ™‚

24. Toshinaka
    August 11th, 2009 at 11:28 | #24

I have VS2008 Team System SP1 installed, and it was installed before even trying to install SQL Server 2008 on Windows 7 32-bit RC. Paul’s solution got me past the error, but I just got another pop-up as SQL Server was installing claiming that another VS2008 was installed that needed to be upgraded to SP1 beforehand. So bizarre…

25. August 18th, 2009 at 10:39 | #25

Thanks Paul, u are my hero!!

26. Roberto
    August 23rd, 2009 at 05:23 | #26

Another succes story for Paulยดs solution! I spent a couple of days before Setup /ACTION=install /SkipRules=VSShellInstalledRule
    Thanks Paul

27. August 26th, 2009 at 21:34 | #27

yes, very helpful.. thanks

28. Jason T
    September 12th, 2009 at 03:19 | #28

@Paul
    ———————
    GREAT NOTE! I still have some hair left thanks to you Paul!

29. Paul
    October 16th, 2009 at 01:31 | #29

RK :Paul, nice get !Indeed after observing the setup process, the first screen interface when clicked in some action, actually calls for setup with some parameters, removing the tools eventuly called for setup with these /skipprules param. What was the program you used to track this call, Sys internals processes ?

Nope, I just read about the install switches someplace on the MS site. A bit of digging in the config files in the install itself I found the undocumented switch mentioned. A bit of luck but hey it works and it’s great to see my tip has helped so many since I posted it originally back in April !

Paul.

30. Naveen Goel
    October 19th, 2009 at 14:27 | #30

@Paul

Thanks for the solution Paul, but it resulted in an error at later stage and SQL server setup didnt complete successfully. Only some components installed, Management Studio and other required components were not installed. So whats the ultimate benefit of this solution.

31. Paul
    October 23rd, 2009 at 18:15 | #31

Naveen Goel :@Paul

Well it worked for me and countless others so I’m not sure what to suggest. You must have another issue that is causing problems with your install.

32. Nick mason
    October 30th, 2009 at 08:07 | #32

Worked for me. Good tip after several hours of fruitless uninstalling and reinstalling

33. Sameh
    November 10th, 2009 at 17:41 | #33

Thanks Paul for hack, but unfortunately it did not work for me:(
    When it comes to “Feature Selection step” the features tree only populated with the root nodes, but no children (i.e. no features!). That is, when if click “Next” I got the error: “To continue one or more feature must be selected”!
    any idea?

34. December 7th, 2009 at 07:30 | #34

Paul’s solution didn’t work for me either. I had VS2008 Team Explorer installed. Uninstalling Team Explorer and Shell (integration mode) allowed SS2k8’s tools to be installed.

35. January 14th, 2010 at 09:09 | #35

@Paul

Thanks Paul!!!

36. Lando
    January 20th, 2010 at 04:29 | #36

@Paul
    Awesome! Thanks Paul I really wished I would have found this page YESTERDAY I was just about to call it quits.

37. Tahseen
    January 22nd, 2010 at 21:49 | #37

Thanks Paul, it works for me dude

38. newbie
    March 18th, 2010 at 04:57 | #38

thaks Paul. it waste my time, and it’s installing now. ^_^

39. Artem
    March 18th, 2010 at 20:14 | #39

@Toshinaka

Have the same issue on W7 64 U, have you found solution for this yet?

40. Craig
    April 14th, 2010 at 01:57 | #40

Thanks Paul! You’re a hero ๐Ÿ™‚

41. AH
    April 18th, 2010 at 20:31 | #41

Paul thak u soooooooooooooo much

42. Jose
    April 21st, 2010 at 02:00 | #42

TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.
    SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

RunDiscovery

Error code 0x84B40002.

——————————
    BUTTONS:

OK
    ——————————
    Well, Anyone got this error with Paul’s way?

43. April 23rd, 2010 at 01:53 | #43

Hello, I am trying to do Paul’s code in but is giving me this error
    Does anyone knows what to do if you get the following error?
    TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.
    ——————————