Sun releases VirtualBox 2.0 just couple of days after 1.6.6!
One of the hottest Virtualisation applications going around the internets these days is Sun’s recently aquired VirtualBox software suite. The bright folks at Sun have just announced version 2.0 release which is a couple of days after the 1.6.6 maintenance release.
Being a fan of VirtualBox from around the 1.3.x days when it was owned by Innotek and seeing it mature the way it has, its been quite impressive – if not for the wide platform compatibility and the fact that its a ‘free’ product for personal use that’s competitive with commercial offerings such as VMWare – which has been my fulltime VM product (loving VMWare 6.5 btw!).
VirtualBox 2.0 brings some uber goodness to the mix (from the changelog):
This version is a major update. The following major new features were added:
- 64 bits guest support (64 bits host only)
- New native Leopard user interface on Mac OS X hosts
- The GUI was converted from Qt3 to Qt4 with many visual improvements
- New-version notifier
- Guest property information interface
- Host Interface Networking on Mac OS X hosts
- New Host Interface Networking on Solaris hosts
- Support for Nested Paging on modern AMD CPUs (major performance gain)
- Framework for collecting performance and resource usage data (metrics)
- Added SATA asynchronous IO (NCQ: Native Command Queuing) when accessing raw disks/partitions (major performance gain)
- Clipboard integration for OS/2 Guests
- Created separate SDK component featuring a new Python programming interface on Linux and Solaris hosts
- Support for VHD disk images
In addition, the following items were fixed and/or added:
- VMM: VT-x fixes
- AHCI/SATA: improved performance
- GUI: keyboard fixes
- Linux installer: properly uninstall the package even if unregistering the DKMS module fails
- Linux additions: the guest screen resolution is properly restored
- Network: added support for jumbo frames (> 1536 bytes)
- Shared Folders: fixed guest crash with Windows Media Player 11
- Mac OS X: Ctrl+Left mouse click doesn’t simulate a right mouse click in the guest anymore. Use Hostkey+Left for a right mouse click emulation. (bug #1766)
Download your copy based on your Operating System:
- VirtualBox 2.0.0 for OS X hosts Intel Macs
- VirtualBox 2.0.0 Software Developer Kit (SDK) All platforms
After installing 2.0, my 1.6.x images seamlessly moved to the 2.0 release with minimal fuss, just make sure you shutdown your VMs prior to upgrading to avoid hassles.
No related posts.