Part III: Zeus rebuilt and configured!
Here’s my final hardware specifications:
- CPU: AMD Athlon X2 5050e – 2.6Ghz (45W TDP, AMD-V)
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P ( AMD 790X Chipset )
- RAM: 2x Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (4Gb kit x 2 = 8Gb)
- Graphics: ASUS 9400GT PCI-Express
- Hard Disks:
- rpool – 2x WD740ADFD – 74Gb 10K RPM, 16Mb Cache (mirror’d)
- tank – 6x WD1002FBYS – 1TB, 7200RPM, 32Mb Cache (raidz)
- base – 2x WD7500AAKS – 750Gb, 7200RPM, 16Mb (mirror’d)
- Addon cards:
- SATA – Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3132 Serial ATA Raid II Controller
- NICs – 2x Intel Corporation 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (e1000g)
I’ve finally managed to get the GA-MA790X-UD4P on the OpenSolaris HCL list – woo! Unfortunately the onboard NIC will not work in the 2009.06 release even though it is detected:
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
Maybe in a future release. Make sure you update the BIOS as OpenSolaris may have an issue with the USB controller being ‘mis-configured’ otherwise.
- Idle: 380W
- Load: 413W
- Idle: 232W
- Load: 270W
Nice, with an Intel Atom based server it could go _a lot_ lower, but I’m happy with this.